Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Blondes in the Bleachers

Two Cal students write a weekly article in the Daily Cal titled Blondes in the Bleachers. As the title suggests, the two are blondes and describe themselves "with at the very least a minimal interest in sports". In their latest installment:

Our favorite holiday is fast-approaching, people. No, not Thanksgiving-Big Game Day.

So for this column, we decided to go out into the Berkeley community to see what some notable Berkeley denizens thought about the upcoming contest.

[snip]

Who's more of a Berkeley character than the Hat Lady? You know the one-she hawks her wares on Telegraph and Durant in front of Smart Alec's. She also claims to know 465 languages, many of which she invented herself.

BB: Hi, how's it going?

Hat Lady: I hate white people. I was working and pregnant when I went to Cal. I was on roller skates and my daughter was coming out of me right there in the back of my Portuguese class in Dwinelle. And then I nursed her all through my Italian class and my Russian class and my Chinese class.

BB: Tell us what you think about Stanford.

HL: Oh, Stanford. When I was applying to school, obviously I wanted to go to Oxford and Princeton and Yale, but after that my number one was UCLA and my number two was Stanford. I was going to say USC, but they're snobs. And Stanford, they're snobs too, but they have class. Tiger Woods went to Stanford.

BB: So you're rooting for Stanford in this week's Big Game?

HL: Is it here? (We shake our heads "no") Damn! Suicide would be better.

I'm glad things never change in Berkeley.

Labels: ,