Monday, November 14, 2005

The Play


Happy Monday of Big Game Week.

My annual Monday of Big Game Week has traditionally been a reposting of Joe Starkey's famous call in 1982 of "the most amazing, sensational, traumatic, heart rending... exciting thrilling finish in the history of college football! California has won...the Big Game...over Stanford." I still get goose bumps when I hear it.

I won't repost this year, but it's absolutely amazing that 23 years later, it still has a huge following. Perhaps it's because it was ranked #18 in ESPN's 100 most memorable moments.

The full text of The Play can be found here and here.

A Wikipedia entry of The Play can be found here, which also links to attributed quotes from that day. Well worth visiting.

RealOne Player videos of The Play can be found here, with audio at Joe Kapp's site.

If you want eyewitness accounts, I can refer you to at least 10-12 people out of the 150,000 who claim to have been there.

Go Bears!

Labels: ,